At Hartley Brook Academy we are developing a mastery approach to the teaching of mathematics. At the centre of this approach is the belief that all pupils have the potential to succeed. All pupils should have access to the same curriculum content and, rather than being extended with new content from other year groups, they should deepen their conceptual understanding by reasoning and problem solving.
- To develop a growth mindset around the ability to learn mathematics
- To develop a positive attitude towards the subject
- To become confident and proficient with number, including fluency with mental calculation and looking for connections between numbers
- To create problem solvers, who can reason, think logically, work systematically and apply their knowledge of mathematics
- To develop mathematical language which pupils can use appropriately
- To help pupils to become independent learners and to work cooperatively with others
- To give a real-life context to learning in Mathematics